What is a certified nursing assistant (CNA)?

Nurse’s aides usually tend to bedside needs of patients and assist with routine tasks such as observing and recording vital signs. They also empty bedpans, bathe patients, stock supplies, and help with other essential tasks, such as keeping rooms clean. A nurse’s aide or nursing assistant generally receives a degree as either a certified nurse assistant (CNA) or state-tested nurse aide (STNA).

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...
Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

A certified nursing assistant, (CNA) works under the supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN) or a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). A CNA works in a variety of settings including hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, adult day care centers and private homes. The responsibilities of the CNA will vary based on the work setting but in general the CNA helps patients or clients with their healthcare needs such as bathing, dressing, feeding or mobility.  The CNA’s role does not include assessing the patient’s condition, administering medications or teaching the patient or family about medical conditions or self care.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

The Difference Between Misdiagnosis and Missed Diagnosis
In 1921, at age 39, Franklin Delano Roosevelt suddenly developed pain and paralysis in his upper and lower body. Although he regained control of his u...
Are urgent care fees higher than a hospital ER?
CareNowCareNow
A patient’s out-of-pocket costs are typically substantially higher to be seen in the emergency depar...
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
Be honest, speak up and don't forget to stop in and say hello Wherever you receive healthcare, you’ll find nurses. And Americans know they’re in good ...
What Happens to Quality of Care in the Future?