What is an adverse event?

An adverse event is a health problem that results from the medical care you receive. Some adverse events are preventable, others are not. Preventable adverse events are those associated with error or mistakes. Adverse events can affect your health in minor to major ways. If you have suffered an adverse event it’s important to keep notes about it. If possible you should discuss it with your healthcare team, as it could be preventable in the future for you or someone else. In this way, adverse events can provide patients and their healthcare team opportunities to learn. Talking about them openly and honestly helps that to happen. For example, if you have a reaction to latex gloves, the next time to go visit a care provider, you can tell them about it so it doesn’t happen again.

An adverse event is an unexpected medical problem that happens during treatment with a drug or other therapy. Adverse events do not have to be caused by the drug or therapy, and they may be mild, moderate, or severe. Also called adverse effect.

This answer is based on source information from The National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

How to Protect Your Family From Whooping Cough
The Whooping Crane is an endangered species—about 400 of these noisy, five-foot tall birds are left in North America. If only whooping cough—that’s pe...
What legal and financial documents should I organize before I die?
EverplansEverplans
It is important to organize your financial and legal documents before you die. For different financi...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
Are We Taking a More Holistic Approach to Medicine Today?