What is an internal medicine–pediatrics doctor?

An internal medicine–pediatrics physician treats adults and children. These doctors complete four years of medical school, then four more years of specialized training: two in internal medicine and two in pediatrics. They can become board-certified both in Internal Medicine and in Pediatrics.

Internal medicine–pediatrics physicians can treat your whole family. They are especially well suited, but not limited, to treating adults with diseases of childhood (such as autism and genetic disorders) as well as children who have “adult” diseases (such as diabetes and obesity).
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Be an Informed Patient and Get Healthier
If you’ve ever wondered what your doc is scribbling in your file or entering into a computer during your medical appointment, you’re not alone. More t...
What are biologicals?
Biological pertains to biology or to life and living things. In medicine, it refers to a substance m...
How can my primary care doctor help me maintain my health?
A primary care doctor can help you maintain your health by keeping you up to date on your preventive...
What Excites You the Most About Healthcare?