What does an ambulatory pharmacist do?

Angela Green, PharmD
Ambulatory Care Specialist

An ambulatory pharmacist works with a primary care provider (PCP) and plays an integral role in patient care. A PCP can comfortably refer people who do not have optimal control of various illnesses—such as diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)—to an ambulatory pharmacist in his or her clinic. The pharmacist can then counsel people about the disease process and lifestyle modifications while also recommending appropriate medication management for these diseases.

For diseases such as osteoporosis, anxiety or depression, ambulatory pharmacists can work with the doctor to identify the best medication and monitor the person as changes are made. Ambulatory pharmacists can complete a medication review with people in a relaxed atmosphere that allows people to ask questions about medications and their effects. After completing the review, the pharmacist can help create an individualized medication plan and monitor the person (via phone and/or in person) as medication changes are made, so that each person can take the safest and smallest number of medicines possible.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site.  In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

In the Hospital? Have an Advocate
In the Hospital? Have an Advocate
Recently, I woke up in the back of an ambulance after a bad bicycle accident with an EMT sticking an IV in my arm. The first words out of my mouth wer...
What is a physician assistant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
A physician assistant (PA) is a health professional who practices medicine with the supervision of a...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
Do We Need a Cultural Shift Toward Preventative Medicine?