What should I consider when hiring a firm to set up a living trust?

Unfortunately, there are firms that charge too much money to set up poorly planned living trusts. The best thing you can do is to educate yourself on different types of trusts and different reasons to use them. You don’t have to become an expert, but knowing the basics will help. You must help your loved one hire the right attorney.

To find the right professional, here are a few tips:
  • Ask about experience with your specific situation. A professional may have 15 years' experience but that doesn’t mean he or she has the type of experience relevant to your needs.
  • Ask about fees up front.
  • Ask if that attorney will be handling your issue personally, or if your issue will be handled by a less experienced attorney or paralegal in the office. Passing simple work to lower-paid employees is not uncommon, nor is it a huge problem. Just be clear on what process that firm uses so that you can decide if it is a fit for you.
  • Ask how long the process will take.
  • Ask how often you can expect to hear from the attorney. Do you have to initiate contact? Will he or she call you to give you updates or only when something significant occurs?
  • Trust your intuition. If you or your loved one does not feel comfortable, if you feel rushed or if your questions are not adequately answered, move on. Interview several attorneys before making a decision.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Epigenetics: Why Your Lifestyle Choices May Leave Your Family a Legacy of Health
Photo Credit: Juhan Sonin, via Flickr Creative Commons Dr. Dean Ornish and his colleagues broke ground when they found our lifestyle choices could tu...
What credit card information should I organize before I die?
EverplansEverplans
It is important to organize your credit card information before you die. The information to gather f...
5 Bogus Health Tips
5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips
These common health rules may not be as accurate as you think.
Why Is It Difficult for Doctors to Express Empathy to Patients?