What is a board-certified family physician?

A board-certified family physician is a doctor who has gone to medical school, completed a residency in family medicine and received certification by the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM). To receive ABFM certification, family doctors need to pass a certification examination at the end of their residency. To stay board-certified, family doctors need to do ongoing training and re-take the certification examination at regular intervals.

Other medical specialties, including cardiology, surgery and many other areas of medicine also offer board certification. Board certification can be one indication that a doctor is keeping abreast of the latest research and changes in the specialty. It can be an important achievement to look for when choosing a doctor.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

The Tools to Participate in Your Own Well Care
These are tense times for many Americans who are concerned about healthcare reform. Many of us are asking what the new terms could mean for our famili...
What tax return information should I organize before I die?
EverplansEverplans
It is important to organize your tax return information before you die. The information to gather fo...
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
Be honest, speak up and don't forget to stop in and say hello
Dr. Craig Smith - Future of Healthcare
Dr. Craig Smith - Future of Healthcare