What is a board-certified family physician?

A board-certified family physician is a doctor who has gone to medical school, completed a residency in family medicine and received certification by the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM). To receive ABFM certification, family doctors need to pass a certification examination at the end of their residency. To stay board-certified, family doctors need to do ongoing training and re-take the certification examination at regular intervals.

Other medical specialties, including cardiology, surgery and many other areas of medicine also offer board certification. Board certification can be one indication that a doctor is keeping abreast of the latest research and changes in the specialty. It can be an important achievement to look for when choosing a doctor.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Choosing a Surgeon: How Much Experience is Enough?
An old joke involves a patient asking the doctor, “Have you been successful doing this surgery?”If the doctor says, “Yes, I’ve been successful,” tha...
What information about my power of attorney should I organize before I die?
EverplansEverplans
It is important to organize your power of attorney (POA) information before you die. The information...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
What's the Future of Healthcare Look Like?