What are the benefits of preplanning a funeral or memorial service?

An increasing number of people are preplanning their own funerals, naming their funeral preferences, and sometimes paying for them in advance. Documenting your wishes for a funeral or memorial service may provide comfort and relief for loved ones. Many people think of funeral planning as a part of their estate planning process.

There are important reasons to preplan your service, such as:
  • Financial concerns: Funerals and memorial services can be expensive. Many decisions about services and purchases may have to be made during a time of high emotional stress. Making these decisions ahead of time allows for more careful consideration of all the options and may result in reduced costs.
  • Emotional concerns: Some people want to ease the stress that their loved ones are likely to experience during the time of planning a funeral or memorial service. Making your wishes known in advance will reduce the number of decisions that your loved ones will have to make and may help make this time of loss less stressful.
  • Personal wishes: If you have ideas and personal preferences about what you want your funeral or memorial service to be like, you can take steps now to define your wishes and leave instructions for arrangements of the services.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

In the Hospital? Have an Advocate
In the Hospital? Have an Advocate
Recently, I woke up in the back of an ambulance after a bad bicycle accident with an EMT sticking an IV in my arm. The first words out of my mouth wer...
How can my attitude help me cope with my chronic disease?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
While it's important to know the physical aspects of disease prevention, knowing how to maintain a h...
Top 5 Body Disasters -- At Work
Top 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At Work
Find out how to deal with these embarrassing issues that could derail your workday.
How Does Genetic Testing Help the Health Consumer?