What are the benefits of having a family doctor?

Family doctors, or primary care providers, specialize in both sick care and well care. When you are sick, the last thing you want to have to do is find a doctor—you want to see someone you trust and who knows you. Your family doctor can help you get over minor illnesses and prevent major illnesses and chronic diseases.

Even if you are a generally healthy individual, it’s important to maintain an ongoing relationship with your primary care provider. He or she can support what you are doing to stay healthy, building on that relationship as you and your family experience life changes that can affect your health.

There are many benefits to having a family doctor. It is good to have a doctor who knows you and knows your past history. A doctor who has exposure to other fields also broadens the scope of potential diagnoses. In addition, your family doctor probably knows the community better and can provide the best referrals if needed. But the most important thing is that your family doctor will have the best relationship with you and can answer your questions in a way that you trust; you can consider him or her your healthcare advocate.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Choosing a New Doctor? 5 Questions You Must Ask
My patient came in with wrist pain. She had fallen and seen a general orthopedic surgeon in her small town, who did an x-ray and saw no fracture. Stil...
What are the benefits of a breast patient navigator?
TriStar Summit Medical CenterTriStar Summit Medical Center
Women diagnosed with breast disease are sometimes provided with a breast-health patient navigator. T...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
Who Owns the Data in Electronic Medical Records?