What are the benefits of having a family doctor?

There are many benefits to having a family doctor. It is good to have a doctor who knows you and knows your past history. A doctor who has exposure to other fields also broadens the scope of potential diagnoses. In addition, your family doctor probably knows the community better and can provide the best referrals if needed. But the most important thing is that your family doctor will have the best relationship with you and can answer your questions in a way that you trust; you can consider him or her your healthcare advocate.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Why Busy ERs May Be Better
Why Busy ERs May Be Better
You’re having a medical emergency—do you go to the emergency room where the waiting room always seems crowded? Or head to the quieter one where you fi...
Prime Directive for Healthcare
Prime Directive for Healthcare
In Star Trek, the Prime Directive may work well to protect less advanced societies from contamination by the hyper-techy world of Starfleet. But in th...
How can my primary care doctor help me maintain my health?
A primary care doctor can help you maintain your health by keeping you up to date on your preventive...
Why should I become an organ donor?
You should become an organ donor because donating healthy body parts after your death can save the l...