What does the basic services fee of a funeral include?

The basic services fee for a funeral or memorial service, sometimes referred to as the "basic services of funeral director and staff," is for funeral homes’ required services and any overhead costs associated with those services. Basic services and the basic services fee are non-declinable, but will vary from company to company. Generally, “basic services” include: 
  • Filing any necessary paperwork
  • Securing any necessary permits and copies of the death certificate
  • Properly storing the remains
  • Coordinating arrangements with the cemetery, crematory or any other third parties
  • Overhead expenses related to the funeral home facility and operations 

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Healthcare Generosity has Overwhelming Benefits for You and Society
In tough times, lots of folks think when it comes to healthcare, tightening the purse strings, letting folks fend for themselves and advocating tough ...
Can a family member request a physician consult for a loved one?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
The short answer is yes.  If you have a loved one in the hospital whose treatment is complex and t...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
How Has the Idea of the Minute Clinic Impacted Healthcare?