What should I ask my surgeon during my pre-surgery exam?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
The pre-surgery exam is the perfect opportunity to discuss risks, benefits, and complications with your surgeon. I believe it is vital to have the opportunity to speak directly with the doctor regarding your questions and concerns. Discuss pre-operative instructions, surgical techniques, and post-operative management and expectations.  I have always found, in my practice, that fully informed patients have realistic expectations and reduced complications (due to understanding the "do's and dont's" after the procedure).
During the examination, find out about the preferred method of surgery. Is the surgeon current in using the latest methods? Will the surgeon allow patient-controlled analgesia (PCA), which means you control the amount of pain medication used after surgery? Ask if the surgeon will perform all of the surgery. If not, how much will be done by the surgeon’s assistant, physician’s assistant, or hospital resident? Also, find out if this doctor will be on call after surgery, or if another doctor will see you.
The Women's Guide to Ending Pain: An 8-Step Program

Are you one of the 80 million North American women suffering from the chronic pain of:* Menstrual cramps* Fibromyalgia* Headaches * Carpal tunnel syndrome* Back or neck pain?Starting today, you can...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

How to Get Generic Drugs You Need
How to Get Generic Drugs You Need
“It was just on the tip of my tongue. What was it?” If you’re taking medication, chances are the answer to your questions is, “A generic drug.” About...
What should I expect at an urgent care clinic?
At an urgent care clinic you can expect similar care to what you would receive at an emergency room....
Top 5 Body Disasters -- At Work
Top 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At Work
Find out how to deal with these embarrassing issues that could derail your workday.
How Will Modern Healthcare Providers Manage the Big Data Created by Mobile Sensors?