What effects do ARBs and ACE inhibitors have on the aging process?

Mark C. Houston, MD
Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) and angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors are used to treat high blood pressure and heart failure, reduce stroke and heart attack, improve kidney function and reduce urinary protein, improve vascular function, and reduce the incidence of diabetes mellitus. They also have potent antioxidant, anti-growth, anti-inflammatory and other protective characteristics that increase life expectancy in rats and mice. The exact mechanisms are unclear, but increases in nitric oxide levels and inhibition of the toxic actions of a hormone called angiotensin II appear to be at play.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

5 Things Your Nurse Wants You to Know
5 Things Your Nurse Wants You to Know
I consider myself lucky to be one of the 3.1 million registered nurses (RN) in the US, an amazing profession full of passionate, kind, brilliant women...
Will my primary care physician see me in the hospital?
Doctors Hospital of SarasotaDoctors Hospital of Sarasota
A primary care physician may come to see you in the hospital, but it's unlikely.
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
Be honest, speak up and don't forget to stop in and say hello
How Healthcare Marketing Is Evolving
How Healthcare Marketing Is Evolving