What are some tips for throwing away medications?

If your medicine is expired, you should get rid of it. You should also get rid of medicines that your doctor says you no longer need. Here are some tips for throwing away medicines:
DO put the pills in a container with water and seal it tightly. Some pills do not come in their own container with a lid. If this is the case, put the pills in a plastic drink bottle filled with water and close the cap tightly. Then, throw the container in your household trash.
DO NOT throw the medicine into a sink, toilet or storm drain unless the label on the medicine says to throw it in the toilet.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Why is it important to ask about the operating room team?
Dr. Dede BonnerDr. Dede Bonner
A good surgeon typically works with the same few anesthesiologists, nurses and medical assistants. O...
What are prescription drug monitoring programs?
Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs (PDMPs) are state-run electronic databases used to track the p...
What mortgage or loan information should I organize before I die?
EverplansEverplans
It is important to organize your mortgage or loan information before you die. The information to gat...
Have We Reached a Saturation Point with Mobile in Africa?