Should my stitches be kept dry after surgery?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
The old myth that stitches should be kept dry arose in the days when silk sutures were used. When surgeons switched from braided silk to single strand nylon material in the 1970s, they should have realized that wounds could now get wet after surgery. But it wasn't until the late Joel Noe, M.D., published a simple but landmark study in 1988 that the instructions changed. Noe showed that there was no difference in the infection rate or quality of the scar if the wounds were allowed to get wet.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

How to Get Generic Drugs You Need
How to Get Generic Drugs You Need
“It was just on the tip of my tongue. What was it?” If you’re taking medication, chances are the answer to your questions is, “A generic drug.” About...
What mortgage or loan information should I organize before I die?
EverplansEverplans
It is important to organize your mortgage or loan information before you die. The information to gat...
How Does Genetic Testing Help the Health Consumer?
How Does Knowing the Genetic Makeup of a Virus or Bacteria Help With Treatment?