Should I stick with the same pharmacy chain if I move?

When you move, you may either continue to have your prescriptions filled at the same pharmacy chain, provided there is a location near you, or you may transfer your prescriptions to a new pharmacy.

There are plenty of reasons to stick with the same pharmacy chain, including patient safety and simplifying the refill process. However, it's easy to transfer prescriptions, and some retailers even offer incentives to do so, such as coupons.

To transfer a prescription, bring your labeled medication bottle or package in and the pharmacist will complete the transfer. You also may be able to complete this process over the phone or online. You may need to provide the new pharmacy with contact and insurance information.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

The #1 Way to be a Better Patient
The #1 Way to be a Better Patient
Have you ever walked out of the doctor’s office and immediately forgotten what the doc told you? Don’t worry, you’re not alone: According to research...
Why is it important to ask about the operating room team?
Dr. Dede BonnerDr. Dede Bonner
A good surgeon typically works with the same few anesthesiologists, nurses and medical assistants. O...
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
Be honest, speak up and don't forget to stop in and say hello
What Does Personalized Medicine Mean?
What Does Personalized Medicine Mean?