Should I stop using medications from New England Compounding Center?

The CDC is investigating medications and products that are associated with a 2012 outbreak of fungal meningitis. As of this writing, the original source of the outbreak has not been determined. However, injectable steroid medication has been linked to the outbreak. The lots of medication that were given to patients have been recalled by the manufacturer, the New England Compounding Center.

To date, the CDC has not received reports of infections linked to other products from the New England Compounding Center. However, out of an abundance of caution, the CDC recommends that patients cease use of any product produced by the New England Compounding Center until further information is available. A list of products produced by the New England Compounding Center can be found through the FDA website at http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm322734.htm.

If patients have taken or used medications from New England Compounding Center, and they are worried that they are ill because of use of one of these products, they should seek medical attention. Again, the CDC has not received any reports of infection linked to other products from New England Compounding Center.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Choosing a Surgeon: How Much Experience is Enough?
An old joke involves a patient asking the doctor, “Have you been successful doing this surgery?”If the doctor says, “Yes, I’ve been successful,” that ...
What is family history?
Your family health history is a record of medical information about you and your close relatives. A ...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
How Do We Control Healthcare Costs?
How Do We Control Healthcare Costs?