Do people with less social support have higher risks of premature death?

The report of the saguaro seminar Better Together: civic engagement in America. Reprint of 2000 report with new introduction  pg. 8 states the following : “Joining a group boosts your life expectancy just as much as quitting smoking".

Think back to times where you were feeling down or bummed about something and a someone came along a made you feel better by telling a joke or providing distractions or just by listening to you vent about any and everything. Think about the times where you wished you had someone to talk to but didn't either because you didn't feel it was safe to or didn't have anyone that you trusted who was available. Having relationships, whether they be groups or individuals have been shown to increase the immune system's effectiveness and add years to your life. Do people with more social support have better chances of fighting off premature deaths?  You betcha.

Suicides have been attempted when people were in a mental state of social isolation even though there were plenty of people in their lives. Emotional isolation seems to be the most important factor in pushing people to the brink of such self-destructive actions. Those who have survived tragedy or overcome obstacles often give credit to people whom they were able to rely upon and share their emotional burdens with.

Social support can provide you with education about topics you might not otherwise learn about on your own. Weight loss groups, addiction recovery groups and all manner of social groups give people access to insight that can help them make better choices and learn better thought processes than they would have ever known on their own.

Never underestimate the power of having good friends. You never know how what someone else  knows could help add years to your life. The more friends, the merrier, since it is impossible for one person to meet all of your needs. Maybe one friend will say something that helps you quit smoking for good (or even just fight the temptation to smoke in the moment or  for 1 day). Another friend might help you lose those last stubborn 5 pounds you've been struggling with all by your lonesome or help you learn to cherish your body no matter how hard and fast those pounds stick.

Think about situations you've been in and didn't have social support. How did that make you feel? Social support is so important to your everyday life. Social support effects our efforts to exercise, work, play, eat, socialize, etc. Much of what we do requires the support of others to do it and without it people struggle to make sense of life. It seems unfortunate that we live in a world with increasingly less and less 'community'. It seems more challenging to make friends particularly as we age. How many times have you heard the story of one spouse dying and the other is not far behind. One reason this happens is because couples get enmeshed (again) particularly the older they get and they don't always have too many other people in their lives. At a certain age friends start dying and some people don't make new friends to fill those voids. When friends die and one partner in a relationship dies that can leave the other partner feeling isolated and alone which can cause premature death.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

The #1 Way to be a Better Patient
The #1 Way to be a Better Patient
Have you ever walked out of the doctor’s office and immediately forgotten what the doc told you? Don’t worry, you’re not alone: According to research...
When will I meet the breast nurse navigator?
Portsmouth Regional HospitalPortsmouth Regional Hospital
A breast care navigator usually meets a patient after diagnosis, but before the patient has started ...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
How Will the Next Generation of Healthcare Providers Interact with Mobile Health Technology?