What are some trustworthy sites for patients' rights information?

Health Privacy Project
www.healthprivacy.org
This website, part of a nonprofit group, helps raise public awareness about health privacy; contains information about how to keep your medical records private.

Office for Civil Rights—HIPAA
www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa
This is the website for the federal Office for Civil Rights, which is responsible for receiving and investigating claims of HIPAA violations; includes information about your rights under the law and ways to keep your medical records private.

Patient Advocate Foundation
www.patientadvocate.org
This website is sponsored by the Patient Advocate Foundation, a nonprofit group that works to help patients resolve insurance, job retention and debt problems that result from health problems.

Rand Corporation
www.rand.org
This 50-year-old research organization conducts surveys and studies on many health issues, often at the policy level, but you can find good info on topics such as HIV, mental health, and insurance.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Ask Dr. Darria
Ask Dr. Darria
You can find all the articles here by Darria Long Gillespie, MD, Executive Vice President, Clinical Strategy at Sharecare and an emergency room doctor...
Can a family member request a physician consult for a loved one?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
The short answer is yes.  If you have a loved one in the hospital whose treatment is complex and t...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
How Do Doctors Manage All the Patient Data Collected by Sensors and Electronic Medical Records?