Do most physicians today enjoy practicing medicine?

William Wien
William Wien on behalf of MDLIVE
Family Medicine
Physicians still enjoy interacting with and helping patients. It is the loss of autonomy, and interference with the practice of medicine that our current economic, legal, and political environment has created which most physicians despise. This factor causes many physicians to change careers, retire early, and to strongly discourage their children from entering the profession. How tragic!
Dr. Robin Miller, MD
In order to determine whether doctors enjoy practicing or not, it would depend on who you ask. Generally  I would say that many doctors are feeling stressed and enjoying medicine less than they did in the past.  Paperwork, insurance, and legal issues all contribute to the stress and difficulties. 

Over the last 5 years I have designed a practice that has helped me to find the joy of medicine that I had when I first started out in my career.   I have an Integrative medicine clinic where I am able to spend time with my patients and as a result I have been able to make a difference in their health and my life as a physician.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Be an Informed Patient and Get Healthier
If you’ve ever wondered what your doc is scribbling in your file or entering into a computer during your medical appointment, you’re not alo...
What types of doctors diagnose asthma?
Asthma can be diagnosed by primary care doctors, but consultation with a specialist, such as an alle...
Top 5 Body Disasters -- At Work
Top 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At WorkTop 5 Body Disasters -- At Work
Find out how to deal with these embarrassing issues that could derail your workday.
Why Aren't Medical Students Taught Empathy Anymore?