How do medications end up in our water supply?

The medication we take ends up in our water supply in one of two ways. We secrete it in our urine (which we can't control), but many of us also flush unused medication down the toilet, contributing to the rising amount of pharmaceutical pollution found in our water supply. The Associated Press has found that dozens of pharmaceuticals end up in our water supplies, and eventually, in our tap water. That's because water treatment plants are designed to neutralize biological hazards, such as bacteria, but not pollutants such as antibiotics. Scientists are now discovering bacteria in the wild that are not only resistant to antibiotics, but can actually live off them.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

4 Reasons to See Your Doctor Now
4 Reasons to See Your Doctor Now
You may have heard a lot lately about why you can skip certain visits to your doctor. Some groups say women don’t need a mammogram every year, and for...
What is an internist?
Internal medicine doctors (or internists) are trained to treat adults of all ages. Their training al...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
What Role Does UnitedHealth Group Play in Medical Records and Patient Data?