How do I know if a plastic surgery center is safe?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
The American Board of Plastic Surgery requires that all diplomats operate only in certified or state-licensed ambulatory centers. This is an additional safety net for the patient.

Accrediting organizations verify that national standards are met and maintained within the surgical environment. They review policies and procedures, safety, equipment, the handling of blood, and medications. The organization verifies that the surgeon has hospital privileges should an emergency necessitating the patient be transferred to a hospital occur. It ensures that the facility keeps adequate records, has an emergency plan and emergency procedures in place, and verifies the credentials of all staff members. The accrediting organization also certifies the types of anesthesia that may be administered in the facility and under what circumstances.

Be sure your facility, at the minimum, is state licensed and Quad A certified. If Medicare will be involved in reimbursement (as is the case in some reconstructive surgeries and procedures), then the facility must also be Medicare approved.

You will also pick up a lot of clues about the operation of the facility from the attitude and demeanor of the staff. Are they respectful and open, or is there an underlying tension? Ask if you can tour the surgical facility and be sure to take notes. Is it clean and tidy? Are the surgical areas and instruments kept sterile? Disorganization within the facility could indicate the same level of disorganization inside the surgical area as well. The possibility of infection, and complications from an infection, are too big of risk. Be sure the facility you choose is a sparkling example of cleanliness.
The Beverly Hills Shape: The Truth About Plastic Surgery

Dr. Stuart Linder, Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, specializes in body sculpting procedures in the heart of Beverly Hills, California. Dr. Linder has trained in both general...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Are assisted suicide and euthanasia the same?
Although the terms assisted suicide and euthanasia are often used interchangeably, they are actually...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
Are We Moving to a Preventative Health Healthcare System?
4 Medical Tests You May Not Really Need
4 Medical Tests You May Not Really Need