How do I know if a new medicine is right for me?

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine

Often, you may hear or read about a new drug and wonder if you should ask your doctor about a prescription. Sometimes, the new drug works wonders, but most of the time, there is no such luck.

Here is a mnemonic from the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) that helps your doctor assess new medications and determine if they may be right for you: STEPS.

S: Safety -- what are the drug interactions and side effects?
T: Tolerability -- how many people stop taking the drug because of side effects?
E: Effectiveness -- this may seem obvious, but really: does this drug not only change a lab value (blood pressure, etc.) but does it improve quality of life or help people live longer?
P: Price: Is it worth the cost?
S: Simplicity: How many times per day is it required? With or without food? Can it be taken with other medications?
Together with your doctor, discuss these issues before you add another medication to your daily routine. 

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

How to Get Generic Drugs You Need
How to Get Generic Drugs You Need
“It was just on the tip of my tongue. What was it?” If you’re taking medication, chances are the answer to your questions is, “A generic drug.” About...
What are the benefits of a breast patient navigator?
TriStar Summit Medical CenterTriStar Summit Medical Center
Women diagnosed with breast disease are sometimes provided with a breast-health patient navigator. T...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
What Future Technologies May Help Improve Healthcare?