Is refusing care a form of euthanasia?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Refusing care is usually considered one form of euthanasia, usually referred to as passive euthanasia or withdrawal of treatment. A person may refuse to continue a regimen of medicines and procedures, like chemotherapy and radiation for cancer, refuse to insert a feeding tube to provide sustenance, or disconnect from a ventilator. This passive form of euthanasia is generally considered an acceptable practice and is not the same as assisted suicide.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

How to Get Generic Drugs You Need
How to Get Generic Drugs You Need
“It was just on the tip of my tongue. What was it?” If you’re taking medication, chances are the answer to your questions is, “A generic drug.” About...
What should I expect at an urgent care clinic?
At an urgent care clinic you can expect similar care to what you would receive at an emergency room....
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health. Ever wake up an...
How Are Consumers Consuming Health Information?