How does training differ between a DO and MD?

The training, or educational requirements, for a doctor of osteopathic (DO) medicine and a medical doctor (MD) are similar.

• Both doctor degrees require four years of medical school and a residency program of three to seven years.
  • Both doctors are found in every specialty of medicine and are licensed in every state in the US.

The premedical training is the same for allopathic (MD) and osteopathic (DO) schools. Both require premedical coursework (although that varies slightly from school to school), the MCAT exam and a Bachelor’s degree.

However, DOs must complete an additional 200 hours of manipulation training in addition to the typical coursework. This is called "osteopathic manipulative medicine." It is used to treat health problems involving the spine and musculoskeletal system (your muscles, bones and supporting structures). Training for a DO also involves learning ways to prevent sickness or disease. This is in line with the philosophy of osteopathic medicine.

This content originally appeared on http://blog.mountainstar.com/.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Prime Directive for Healthcare
Prime Directive for Healthcare
In Star Trek, the Prime Directive may work well to protect less advanced societies from contamination by the hyper-techy world of Starfleet. But in th...
Are urgent care fees higher than a hospital ER?
CareNowCareNow
A patient’s out-of-pocket costs are typically substantially higher to be seen in the emergency depar...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
What Do You Do Once You've Discovered a New Virus?