How often does an adult congenital heart specialist follow up with patient?

An adult congenital heart specialist determines how often a person needs a follow-up visit based on the severity of the congenital issue. For mild, moderate or complex adult congenital heart disease (ACHD) follow-up visits are recommended at least every one to two years. For very complex ACHD follow-up visits are recommended every six to 12 months.

Adult congenital heart specialists are unique, and there are not enough accessible to patients. I see patients who live hundreds of miles away and seeing them can be difficult, so collaborating with community physicians and cardiologists is the key to optimizing their health.

Follow up and care is often determined by heart defect severity:

• For more complex CHD, we play a much bigger role and almost become primary care providers. We keep a closer eye on them. We have a shared care approach that they see cardiologists, and we work in close collaboration with them.
  • Simpler patients, we see them every other year, but primary care physicians or the other cardiologists see them more frequently. We send our notes to them and we receive notes from them, and that’s how we end up coordinating care.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

How to Get Generic Drugs You Need
How to Get Generic Drugs You Need
“It was just on the tip of my tongue. What was it?” If you’re taking medication, chances are the answer to your questions is, “A generic drug.” About...
How has the role of the pharmacist changed over time?
Angela Green, PharmDAngela Green, PharmD
The role of the pharmacist has changed to include more focus on consumer care. There are many practi...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
Is Our Healthcare Sytem Broken?
Is Our Healthcare Sytem Broken?