How many kids are treated for nonprescription drug overdoses?

Seven thousand children under age eleven are treated in hospital emergency departments every year for overdoses of nonprescription cough and cold medications. About two-thirds of those cases happened when children took the meds without their parent’s knowledge. But in one-quarter of the cases, the parent gave the correct dosage.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Know Before You Go: MRI
Know Before You Go: MRI
The magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machine is a large piece of medical equipment—intimidating for some, since your body slides inside it. You may no...
How is a doctor different from a nurse?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Doctors are different from nurses in that the doctor can make decisions about what kind of treatment...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
Why Has Our Healthcare System Changed so Little Over the Years?