How does concierge medicine differ from a traditional medical practice?

William H. Baer II., MD
What separates concierge medicine from traditional medical practice, or standard health care, is the time doctors are able to spend with their patients. Doctors will incorporate ancillary services, some coordinated care with specialists and more integrated care with those specialists, meaning the doctor would be able to pick up the phone and talk to the specialists about the care models they're delivering. At times, the doctor may even go to the specialist visits with that patient so that they're both on the same page in regards to delivering proper care to that individual.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.
Concierge medicine differs from a traditional medical practice in that it is limited to a very small practice as opposed to a typical 3,000 to 4,000 patient load of many traditional medical practices. This allows doctors to know patients and their medical histories very well and treat them more appropriately and effectively. Patients can reach the doctor 24/7 with the concierge model.
Gary Dorshimer, MD

A typical, successful internal medicine practice has several thousand patients and increasingly busy schedules that limit the time a physician has to spend with each patient. Concierge care practices have a smaller patient base and afford you the opportunity to spend more one-on-one time with your doctor. This quality time translates to you receiving more individualized care services like preventive care counseling and short- and long-term wellness planning.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

New Insights into Preventing Type 2 Diabetes and Choosing the Right Doctor
Q: I know people who have developed type 2 diabetes who aren’t particularly overweight or sedentary. Does that mean anyone can get it? What can I do t...
How do I file a complaint against my dentist?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Even in the best dentist-patient relationship, a problem may occur. First, discuss any concerns you ...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
Can the Retail Health Movement Help Reduce Costs, Improve Access?