How can I compare the quality of home healthcare agencies?

Home healthcare agencies are certified to make certain they meet federal health and safety requirements. You can get information about home health agencies and the results of their quality measures from a Medicare agency. In some cases, a local ombudsman, who can be contacted through your local agency on aging, may have information on quality care measures of home health agencies in your area.

You will have a say about which home healthcare agency you use, but your choices may be limited by agency availability or a factor such as Medicare rules. Some hospitals have their own home healthcare agency, but this does not mean you have to choose the hospital's agency.

Quality care means doing the right thing, at the right time, and in the right way to obtain the best possible results for the patient. Quality care measures give you information about how well home health agencies provide care for patients. Patients are monitored for quality measures in areas such as:
  • Improvement in mobility (ability to move around the home)
  • Patient medical emergencies
  • Improvement in mental health
  • Ability to perform activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing, and eating
  • Infection control

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Prime Directive for Healthcare
Prime Directive for Healthcare
In Star Trek, the Prime Directive may work well to protect less advanced societies from contamination by the hyper-techy world of Starfleet. But in th...
Why would I need to get a peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
You would need to get a peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC) line if you have an illness an...
What type of primary care physician (PCP) is best for me?
Dr. Scott A. Wolf, DODr. Scott A. Wolf, DO
The choice of which type of primary care physician (PCP) is best for you may come down to where you ...
How Important Is Text-Based Communication in Global Health Today?