How can I compare the quality of home healthcare agencies?

Home healthcare agencies are certified to make certain they meet federal health and safety requirements. You can get information about home health agencies and the results of their quality measures from a Medicare agency. In some cases, a local ombudsman, who can be contacted through your local agency on aging, may have information on quality care measures of home health agencies in your area.

You will have a say about which home healthcare agency you use, but your choices may be limited by agency availability or a factor such as Medicare rules. Some hospitals have their own home healthcare agency, but this does not mean you have to choose the hospital's agency.

Quality care means doing the right thing, at the right time, and in the right way to obtain the best possible results for the patient. Quality care measures give you information about how well home health agencies provide care for patients. Patients are monitored for quality measures in areas such as:
  • Improvement in mobility (ability to move around the home)
  • Patient medical emergencies
  • Improvement in mental health
  • Ability to perform activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing, and eating
  • Infection control

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

More Dangerous Epidemics in America Than Ebola
If the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed that over 33,000 American citizens would die from Ebola in 2015, it would be horrendous, b...
Why should I become an organ donor?
You should become an organ donor because donating healthy body parts after your death can save the l...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
Have We Become Too Reliant on Technology?