How do I know when my child has been prescribed an off-label medicine?

You won’t, unless you ask your doctor or pharmacist. Or unless you check the package insert -- the printed, teeny, folded piece of paper that comes with the medication -- to see what and whom the drug has been approved to treat. The FDA is making these descriptions easier to read, but they are still a little academic for the average mom or dad. In the “Indications and Usage” section, you’ll see what ages and problems the medication is approved to treat. (Keep in mind we often prescribe medications off-label for conditions not included in the original FDA approval.) Also check out the “Highlights” section at the very end. It will give you a good summary of warnings and precautions, possible adverse reactions, drug interactions, and how to take the medicine (with liquids, without food, etc.). This section is pretty easy to understand.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Choosing a New Doctor? 5 Questions You Must Ask
My patient came in with wrist pain. She had fallen and seen a general orthopedic surgeon in her small town, who did an x-ray and saw no fracture. Stil...
What is an adverse event?
Hospital Safety ScoreHospital Safety Score
An adverse event is a health problem that results from the medical care you receive. Some adverse ev...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
How Can We Get More Patients to Use Biosensors?