How do I know when my child has been prescribed an off-label medicine?

You won’t, unless you ask your doctor or pharmacist. Or unless you check the package insert -- the printed, teeny, folded piece of paper that comes with the medication -- to see what and whom the drug has been approved to treat. The FDA is making these descriptions easier to read, but they are still a little academic for the average mom or dad. In the “Indications and Usage” section, you’ll see what ages and problems the medication is approved to treat. (Keep in mind we often prescribe medications off-label for conditions not included in the original FDA approval.) Also check out the “Highlights” section at the very end. It will give you a good summary of warnings and precautions, possible adverse reactions, drug interactions, and how to take the medicine (with liquids, without food, etc.). This section is pretty easy to understand.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

What does it mean to have a medical home?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
Having access to care when needed acutely is very important. “Having a medical home” very simply mea...
What information about my power of attorney should I organize before I die?
EverplansEverplans
It is important to organize your power of attorney (POA) information before you die. The information...
How should I follow up with my doctor after a hospital stay?
After a hospital stay you should call your doctor to make an appointment and let the front office kn...
What Are the Biggest Challenges in the Healthcare System?