How do chest tubes help my baby breathe in the NICU?

Your baby may need one or more chest tubes in the NICU, especially if he had chest surgery, has a pneumothorax (air or gas in the membranes surrounding the lungs), or has fluid accumulation in the membranes surrounding the lungs. A chest tube is a tube inserted in the space between the ribs and the lungs. Its purpose is to drain excess air or fluid out of the chest to allow your baby’s lungs to expand, which will help him breathe easier.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

The Tools to Participate in Your Own Well Care
These are tense times for many Americans who are concerned about healthcare reform. Many of us are asking what the new terms could mean for our famili...
How does organizing my documents before I die help my family?
EverplansEverplans
Organizing your documents before you die can be a big help for your family. After a death, there are...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
How Have Body Sensors Evolved?
How Have Body Sensors Evolved?