How should cervical collars be used?

Cervical collars alone do not provide adequate in-line immobilization. Cervical collars DO NOT immobilize the cervical spine. Cervical collars keep the head in a neutral position. Too large of a cervical collar will hyperextend the head/neck, and too small of a cervical collar will hyperflex the head/neck and cause further injury. Cervical collars must under no circumstances be used in isolation. Collars must be used with other immobilization equipment/devices such as spine board head blocks/rolled blanket/sandbags. Certain athletic equipment (IE: helmet and shoulder pads) prevent use of cervical collar. Authors Houghton L & Driscoll P, 1999, UK found collars prevented movement by 31-45% and head blocks with straps prevent 58-64% and the addition of head blocks and a collar provided no additional benefit.

(This answer provided for NATA by Scot Raab, PhD, ATC, LAT.)

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

5 Things Your Nurse Wants You to Know
5 Things Your Nurse Wants You to Know
I consider myself lucky to be one of the 3.1 million registered nurses (RN) in the US, an amazing profession full of passionate, kind, brilliant women...
What Are the Biggest Challenges in the Healthcare System?
How Can Healthcare Providers Manage So Much Health Data?
Is Health and Healthcare a Basic Human Right?