How are hospital pharmacies more automated than regular pharmacies?

The next time you get medication from a hospital pharmacy, your pharmacist might be a robot. More hospital pharmacies are using "pick-and-place" robots to fill prescriptions and reduce errors. They fill prescriptions by reading bar codes, selecting the right pill or tablet from the right bin, and then bottling said pill or tablet in a container that's also bar-coded. (Bar codes are key in this process, we've noticed.)

Pharmacists then check the prescriptions before they hand them out to patients. The automation saves time — a robot can prepare 1,500 prescriptions in an hour while it would take three panting pharmacists three hours to hit that tally. You probably won't see a mechanical arm whipping tirelessly in your corner drugstore anytime soon, but you never know.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Navigating the Healthcare System When Facing Addiction
Navigating the healthcare system can be a confusing and daunting task. Therefore, understanding how to properly access prevention, treatment and recov...
How has the role of the pharmacist changed over time?
Angela Green, PharmDAngela Green, PharmD
The role of the pharmacist has changed to include more focus on consumer care. There are many practi...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
Are Patients Too Willing to Share Information Over Social Media?