Why should government price controls on drugs be avoided?

The competitive market and pricing we have in the U.S. drive rapid innovation and help fund research into future breakthroughs. In working to contain health costs, policymakers should explore solutions such as disease management programs that use prescription drugs to improve care and reduce overall costs. Government price controls should be avoided: experience in Europe and Japan show they reduce incentives for investment in research and development and restrict patient access - some patients have been denied crucial treatments for years while governments decide on prices. If price controls were in place in the U.S. between 1952 and 2001, economists estimate that between 330 and 365 new medicines would not exist today.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Should I talk to my doctor about different dosing?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
It is very important to have an open communication with your physician. He needs to know how you are...
How can health information technology (health IT) reduce paperwork?
ONC Consumer eHealth & Blue ButtonONC Consumer eHealth & Blue Button
One benefit of health information technology (health IT) is reduced paperwork. As a patient, you hav...
What mortgage or loan information should I organize before I die?
EverplansEverplans
It is important to organize your mortgage or loan information before you die. The information to gat...
Why Do We Need to Focus More on Health Design and Systems?