Is Google a good tool for finding medical info online?

Google has some big drawbacks when you're looking for objective, correct, and up-to-date info. First, when you do a search in Google, sites that have paid Google to be included in certain searches will occur first in the results, and these may not be what you're looking for at all.

Secondly, Google won't just bring you the good and reliable stuff; it'll bring you everything—all the garbage commercial huckster sites, all the fear-mongering sites, all the old and outdated pages, everything—and nothing will be vetted for quality or accuracy. You'll have to sort through it all these to get to the 15 sites that you really need.

Sure, when you know what you're looking for and it's proving elusive, Google can be golden. But personally, we might Google baseball scores, but for health info we tend to cut right to the verified and trusted sites.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

3 Rules for Checking Into the Hospital
3 Rules for Checking Into the Hospital
In hockey, cross-checking means a player with both hands on his raised hockey stick slams into an opposing player. That’s against NHL rules and earns ...
Who is on a surgical team?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Our surgical staff includes several vital people. First, our anesthesiologist is used to put the pat...
How can my family doctor help me if I need specialized care?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
If you need specialized healthcare or complicated procedures, your family doctor can help you naviga...
What Are the Biggest Challenges in the Healthcare System?