Is Google a good tool for finding medical info online?

Richard Walsh
Social Work
We live in a world of fast moving technology. There are innovations occurring constantly. Many medical practioners have learned their information years ago and are not always current in various new treatments and techniques. However, Google and for that matter, other search engines have their share of questionable treatments. The way I approach medical information on the internet is to use it in conjunction with my medical doctor to either ask the doctor the right questions or explore any new advances that are out there. I use trusted sites such as the Mayo clinic and others. You are ultimately responsible for your good health. Using the internet should not replace your medical treatment by a licensed physician, but to help make you a better educated patient. One example from my experience: my mother in law who suffers from Diabetes and was instructed by her doctor to eat certain foods with a low glycemic index. I googled a reputable site and printed her a list of various foods and their glycemic index. Now she has a better understanding of the right foods to eat.
Google has some big drawbacks when you're looking for objective, correct, and up-to-date info. First, when you do a search in Google, sites that have paid Google to be included in certain searches will occur first in the results, and these may not be what you're looking for at all.

Secondly, Google won't just bring you the good and reliable stuff; it'll bring you everything—all the garbage commercial huckster sites, all the fear-mongering sites, all the old and outdated pages, everything—and nothing will be vetted for quality or accuracy. You'll have to sort through it all these to get to the 15 sites that you really need.

Sure, when you know what you're looking for and it's proving elusive, Google can be golden. But personally, we might Google baseball scores, but for health info we tend to cut right to the verified and trusted sites.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Be an Informed Patient and Get Healthier
If you’ve ever wondered what your doc is scribbling in your file or entering into a computer during your medical appointment, you’re not alone. More t...
How can I protect myself from medical-related identity theft and fraud?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
Medical identity theft and fraud are serious crimes that can cost you money and lead to inaccurate m...
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
Be honest, speak up and don't forget to stop in and say hello
How Do Doctors Manage All the Patient Data Collected by Sensors and Electronic Medical Records?