How can I evaluate the pros and cons of drugs prescribed?

Given below are some questions to ask before taking the prescribed drug:

• Will this drug address my primary health concern?
  • Will it cure the underlying problem or only alleviate the symptoms?
  • What are my chances of developing a condition if I take the drug (for prevention), or if I do not?
  • How significant is the drug's benefit?
  • What are the most worrisome risks? What is the worst thing that could happen from taking this drug? What are the chances of that happening? What will happen if I stop taking the drug?
  • How long has this drug been studied?

It is essential for all of us to evaluate any studies that physicians use to assure us that a drug is safe, and to advocate for increased and unbiased research.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

In the Hospital? Have an Advocate
In the Hospital? Have an Advocate
Recently, I woke up in the back of an ambulance after a bad bicycle accident with an EMT sticking an IV in my arm. The first words out of my mouth wer...
How much does cardiovascular disease cost?
Khurram Nasir, MDKhurram Nasir, MD
The costs of cardiovascular disease are as follows: Highest annual costs: $14,157 in related med...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
Is Health and Healthcare a Basic Human Right?