How can I evaluate the pros and cons of drugs prescribed?

Given below are some questions to ask before taking the prescribed drug:

• Will this drug address my primary health concern?
  • Will it cure the underlying problem or only alleviate the symptoms?
  • What are my chances of developing a condition if I take the drug (for prevention), or if I do not?
  • How significant is the drug's benefit?
  • What are the most worrisome risks? What is the worst thing that could happen from taking this drug? What are the chances of that happening? What will happen if I stop taking the drug?
  • How long has this drug been studied?

It is essential for all of us to evaluate any studies that physicians use to assure us that a drug is safe, and to advocate for increased and unbiased research.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

5 Things Your Nurse Wants You to Know
5 Things Your Nurse Wants You to Know
I consider myself lucky to be one of the 3.1 million registered nurses (RN) in the US, an amazing profession full of passionate, kind, brilliant women...
How can regionalization improve treatment for people with lung cancer?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Researchers have found that for people being treated for lung cancer, regionalization results in imp...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
Where Are We in Terms of Electronic Medical Records?