What is the difference between euthanasia by action or by omission?

Active euthanasia is the process of administering some type of treatment or medical procedure to end someone's life, like a lethal injection. Euthanasia by omission, sometimes called passive euthanasia, refers to situations in which things that are considered ordinary and necessary, like food, or treatments that prolong life, like chemotherapy, are withheld to hasten death. Which treatments are considered necessary and ordinary is hotly debated among many religious groups and concerned individuals.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Medications and Mosquitoes: The Latest Developments
Q: Congress passed a Right-to-Try bill, which means that people who are terminally ill can try new drugs without FDA approval. That’s a good thing, ri...
How might my loved one react to the diagnosis of a terminal illness?
David KuhlDavid Kuhl
The moment someone is told that their illness will likely result in death, time changes. Paradox...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
Are We Becoming a Healthier Society?
Are We Becoming a Healthier Society?