How can decipher the strange terms on my doctor's prescription?

Doctors should use plain language when they write scripts today, but not all got the memo. Even though the Joint Commission issued an official "do not use" list of abbreviations that are common sources of errors, you may still get scripts filled with hieroglyphics from time to time. So use this cheat sheet to decipher them.

By the way, doctors typically write the name of the medicine first, then the form (say, capsule or tablet), dosage, amount (say, 30 tablets), directions for taking it, and finally the number of refills. Or, in medical shorthand:
  • ac: before meals
  • alt die: alternate days
  • bid: twice a day
  • c (with line over c): with
  • dol urg: when pain is severe
  • hs: at bedtime
  • prn: when needed
  • sig: label
  • sos: if necessary
  • stat: immediately
  • tid: three times a day
  • ung: ointment
  • 2x: refill two times
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

How to Get Generic Drugs You Need
How to Get Generic Drugs You Need
“It was just on the tip of my tongue. What was it?” If you’re taking medication, chances are the answer to your questions is, “A generic drug.” About...
What is an acute illness?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
An acute illness is an illness that makes people feel sick, but usually goes away after a few days. ...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health. Ever wake up an...
How Can Healthcare Providers Manage So Much Health Data?