Can a test determine whether medication is causing my fatigue?

Emilia Klapp
There is no standard laboratory test to determine if a particular medication causes fatigue. The test, so to speak, is whether your symptoms improve after changing or discontinuing the drug. However, you can ask your doctor to order a lab test to assess your biochemistry levels, which could indicate a nutritional deficiency in B vitamins or magnesium. If you have concerns about a particular medication and fatigue, ask your doctor about other medications that serve the same purpose and whether switching is an option.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Choosing a New Doctor? 5 Questions You Must Ask
My patient came in with wrist pain. She had fallen and seen a general orthopedic surgeon in her small town, who did an x-ray and saw no fracture. Stil...
How are surgical instruments different for pediatric surgery?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
The instruments used in pediatrics are smaller and can operate in a smaller space.
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
Be honest, speak up and don't forget to stop in and say hello
Why Is It Difficult for Doctors to Express Empathy to Patients?