Can I die of boredom?

Boredom, in and of itself, will not kill you. But it may pose dangers if the flat-line feeling does not go away.

Teenagers today may be especially susceptible to boredom because they tend to be too stimulated and some may lack coping skills when action fades. Some adults may also be at risk because they have personalities that gravitate toward high-risk lifestyles.

People who are prone to boredom also are more likely to engage in dangerous behaviors such as drug addiction, eating disorders, compulsive gambling and alcohol abuse.

People with brain injuries and certain psychotic disorders are more at risk, as are men. The ability to fight boredom is can be a predictor of a drug addict's ability to kick his or her habit.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Planning Ahead for Your Health
Planning Ahead for Your Health
Are you not very strong-minded when it comes to handling your healthcare needs? Or perhaps you just don’t know what you want in the event of an emerge...
What is the future of health and medicine?
Healthcare professionals and others spend hours debating the future of health and medicine in the U....
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
When Will Electronic Medical Records Be Universal?