Can I use a family physician as my child's doctor?

Family physicians care for your child as well as your entire family. So if both you and your child are sick, you can go to the doctor together. By treating both parents and kids, family practitioners come to gain a good understanding of family health histories and dynamics. Your child can see a family physician from the time they are born through their adulthood and won’t ever have to change doctors. They are trained to treat a full range of health issues. Family physicians complete 4 years of medical school and 3 years of residency in practical settings: in the office, at the hospital, and in patient’s homes. They spend several months at a time training in not only pediatrics, but also areas like internal medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, and orthopedics. Currently, the American Board of Family Practice requires all board-certified family physicians to take recertification exams at seven-year intervals. They also must continue to take medical courses that help them stay current with medical breakthroughs that they can apply to the care of their patients. If you choose a family physician to take care of your children, I would recommend that you find one who sees a lot of kids.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

How can regionalization improve treatment for people with lung cancer?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Researchers have found that for people being treated for lung cancer, regionalization results in imp...
What type of trauma center is best to go to if I’m seriously injured?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
To a large degree, you don't really have a choice about where to go when you’re seriously injured—in...
Should I stop using medications from New England Compounding Center?
The CDC is investigating medications and products that are associated with a 2012 outbreak of fungal...
What Does Personalized Medicine Mean?
What Does Personalized Medicine Mean?