Can I use a family physician as my child's doctor?

Family physicians care for your child as well as your entire family. So if both you and your child are sick, you can go to the doctor together. By treating both parents and kids, family practitioners come to gain a good understanding of family health histories and dynamics. Your child can see a family physician from the time they are born through their adulthood and won’t ever have to change doctors. They are trained to treat a full range of health issues. Family physicians complete 4 years of medical school and 3 years of residency in practical settings: in the office, at the hospital, and in patient’s homes. They spend several months at a time training in not only pediatrics, but also areas like internal medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, and orthopedics. Currently, the American Board of Family Practice requires all board-certified family physicians to take recertification exams at seven-year intervals. They also must continue to take medical courses that help them stay current with medical breakthroughs that they can apply to the care of their patients. If you choose a family physician to take care of your children, I would recommend that you find one who sees a lot of kids.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

Healthcare Generosity has Overwhelming Benefits for You and Society
In tough times, lots of folks think when it comes to healthcare, tightening the purse strings, letting folks fend for themselves and advocating tough ...
How does a hospitalist learn about my medical history?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Hospitalists get medical information in different ways, including paper and electronic records, but ...
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
Be honest, speak up and don't forget to stop in and say hello
What Are Some Ways to Improve Healthcare?