How do family doctors differ from specialists?

There is much overlap in the field of family medicine with other specialties. Family doctors are sometimes said to care for patients from "womb to tomb," meaning health issues and preventive care from prenatal and obstetrics through end-of-life care. Family doctors often manage many diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and COPD. Family doctors also perform some small invasive procedures and operations. The scope of practice for each practitioner may depend on location, need for services, type of business and personal choice. Family medicine doctors are sometimes referred to as the gatekeepers of medicine, as they can refer patients to specialists when necessary.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

What information about my will and trusts should I organize before I die?
EverplansEverplans
Before you die, it's important to make sure all information about your will and trusts is organized....
What's Changed About Treating the Health of Children?
What Is the Mission of the Health Matters Initiative?
How Do You Teach Health Literacy?
How Do You Teach Health Literacy?