How does board certification affect my doctor's credentials?

Doctors who are board certified have demonstrated that they have exceeded the requirements for state licensure in their given field. This involves years of training beyond medical school. In addition, board certified doctors have generally passed a rigorous exam. Many specialty boards require their doctors to retake the test every now and then to demonstrate continued competency.
Board certification is the gold standard in assuring that a physician is an expert in a specialty or sub-specialty. The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) is the medical organization that oversees physician certification by developing standards for the evaluation and certification of physician specialists. 

To be board certified, a doctor must complete a residency in his specific specialty (post medical school training) that has been recognized by ABMS, followed by rigorous written and oral examinations. If some one wants to sub-specialize, they must then do fellowship training after their residency.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

5 Things Your Nurse Wants You to Know
5 Things Your Nurse Wants You to Know
I consider myself lucky to be one of the 3.1 million registered nurses (RN) in the US, an amazing profession full of passionate, kind, brilliant women...
How do I choose an orthopedic surgeon?
JFK Medical Center - HCA East FloridaJFK Medical Center - HCA East Florida
Choose an orthopedic surgeon who is board certified and who specializes in the area of expertise tha...
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
Am I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues ExplainedAm I Normal? 6 Body Issues Explained
If you’ve gained a little weight or your hair is a bit thinner, check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
Why Don't People Do Better Managing Their Own Health?