What does it mean if a doctor is board certified?

A board-certified doctor has passed exams in a certain specialty, so it's evidence of skill. The American Board of Medical Specialties recognizes 24 areas of medical specialty, including anesthesiology, cardiology, internal medicine, and pediatrics. Most of these subgroups will refer you to physicians on their list in your area.

Does that mean you can simply pick one of these names and be assured of having the best doctor? No. But you can be assured that these doctors have passed muster with somebody else besides Aunt Frieda. Personally, I wouldn't go to a doctor who wasn't board certified, and it's one of the first several things I'll investigate when finding a doctor or specialist for my family members. Moreover, I'd prefer a doctor who's been board-certified in a specialty for at least three years.

To find out if a doctor you're seeing or considering is board certified, call The American Board of Medical Specialties at (800) 776-CERT or visit certifieddoctor.org.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

What is an adverse event?
An adverse event is an unexpected medical problem that happens during treatment with a drug or other...
5 Bogus Health Tips
5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips5 Bogus Health Tips
These common health rules may not be as accurate as you think. By Olivia DeLong  Don't swim right after you eat. Never go outside with wet hair. We'v...
Is the "Quantified Self" a Passing Health Fad?
System Solutions for Changing Healthcare