Are hospitals really all that different from each other?

It's easy to forget that hospitals are businesses. As with all businesses, some are run better than others. Some have better staff morale, higher day-to-day standards, and cleaner bathrooms. Better or healthier cafeterias and nicer elevator music. Some are saddled with politics and clique wars. Some provide reasonable service and safety, while others offer 5-star hotel–like service and patient safety.

Every workplace deals with some of these factors, to be sure. But there's a key difference. In most jobs, such human peccadilloes usually don't mean the difference between your life and death—or at least not directly and immediately. Unless your work involves making nuclear warheads, all-season tires, or lightly cooked pork products, your team can probably churn out some pretty careless and slap-dash work before it endangers people's lives. Hospitals don't have that leeway.
YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the Best Treatment

Everyone needs to become a smart patient. In fact, in the worst cases, your life may even depend on it. Number one bestselling authors and doctors Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz have written this...

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

5 Things Your Nurse Wants You to Know
5 Things Your Nurse Wants You to Know
I consider myself lucky to be one of the 3.1 million registered nurses (RN) in the US, an amazing profession full of passionate, kind, brilliant women...
How should I follow up with my doctor after a hospital stay?
After a hospital stay you should call your doctor to make an appointment and let the front office kn...
How Do Public/Private Health Partnerships Work Globally?
How Will Modern Healthcare Providers Manage the Big Data Created by Mobile Sensors?