What advantages do academic medical institutions offer?

If the opportunity is available, you may want to consider a facility that is affiliated with academic institutions. Academic institutions have deeper resources than privately owned facilities, and their focus is on recovery of the underlying condition rather then just numbing the pain. On the flip side, academic institutions are large, and not always conveniently located. And they usually charge for parking (that's the main way we stay in business - didn't know that the main revenue source for most academic hospitals is parking revenue, did you?) Still interested in great care - then simply look for an academic facility that put patients first and consider chronic pain as a disease that should be treated or at least managed. And don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

5 Things Your Nurse Wants You to Know
5 Things Your Nurse Wants You to Know
I consider myself lucky to be one of the 3.1 million registered nurses (RN) in the US, an amazing profession full of passionate, kind, brilliant women...
What should be the focus of medicine?
Michael S. GalindoMichael S. Galindo
"To cure sometimes, to relieve often, to comfort always." This anonymous quote has been true since i...
What I Love About Nursing
What I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About NursingWhat I Love About Nursing
In honor of Nurses' Week, check out these nurses from Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), and learn about what drives their passion to care for othe...
What Does It Mean To Manage Health?
What Does It Mean To Manage Health?