How can a wearable activity tracker help me lose weight?

Wendy Batts
Fitness
To lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you consume. Wearing an activity tracker will help increase your awareness of those numbers by showing you how many calories you burn during the day: during workouts, just walking around and even at rest. Many trackers also provide a food log to help you track what you eat, which is a proven tool for weight loss.
David Buer
Fitness
Wearable activity trackers can potentially aid in weight loss and help improve overall health by making you more conscious of your daily decisions. This is especially true when it comes to taking more steps -- and the more you move, the more calories you burn. You might walk to the corner market instead of drive, take the stairs instead of the elevator or squeeze in an early morning workout just to get a head start on your friends, family members or coworkers who wear trackers.

Many of the wearables also come with an app that provides a food log, nutrition tips and daily motivation that can help you lose weight and make more healthy choices in general on a daily basis.
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
Because wearable activity trackers (a.k.a. wearables) encourage you to move more, you'll be moving more and burning more calories. That can help you lose weight. And if you have a wearable that integrates with a food log on your phone, then you can monitor everything you eat as well, which is crucial for successful weight loss.

Continue Learning about Health Trackers

Be Apprehensive About Heart Health Apps
Be Apprehensive About Heart Health Apps
We know you wouldn’t buy the Brooklyn Bridge—although many folks have believed they did! Around 1900 con man, George C. Parker sold it over and over (...
Which smartphone apps can help me eat healthy?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
According to a study published today in the Archives of Internal Medicine, individuals in a structur...
What can I learn from tracking my stress?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
There are so many of us that are running through life on a constant basis these days. Tracking your ...
8 Health Habits You Should Track
8 Health Habits You Should Track8 Health Habits You Should Track8 Health Habits You Should Track8 Health Habits You Should Track
Learn key ways trackers, apps and wearables can boost your health.