Why does MSG give me a headache?

MSG, or monosodium glutamate, is a strong form of sodium that can cause side effects like headaches. In this video, Dr. Oz lists why MSG should be avoided. 

Monosodium glutamate (MSG is the sodium salt of the amino acid glutamate). Glutamate, in addition to serving as one of the amino acids found in proteins, is also an excitatory amino acid and activates other neurons in the brain by binding to a specific type of glutamate receptors. This process activates calcium release, which in turn affects the intra-cranial blood vessel tone. This is one of the crucial steps in the process of migraine generation.
Stephen H. Atkins, PhD
Integrative Medicine

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) can make food taste better, but for some people it can be a pain in the brain. Find out why by watching this video featuring integrative medicine specialist Dr. Stephen Atkins. 

Continue Learning about Headache

Is There a Link Between Migraines and Depression?
For most people battling chronic migraines, the crippling headaches, nausea, dizziness and light sensitivity are painful enough. But according to a ne...
What is a sentinel headache?
When an aneurysm leaks (releases a small amount of blood), it can result in a sudden and severe head...
8 Surprising Migraine Triggers
8 Surprising Migraine Triggers8 Surprising Migraine Triggers8 Surprising Migraine Triggers8 Surprising Migraine Triggers
See if you recognize any of these unusual triggers. Migraines affect roughly 12 percent of people in the US, according to the National Institute of Ne...
If I Have Consistent Migraines, Is There Any Fear of Something Worse Like a Brain Tumor?