What is the difference between primary and secondary headaches?

For primary headaches, the headache pain itself is the illness. Primary headaches include these types:
  • tension headaches
  • migraine headaches
  • cluster headaches
  • exertion headaches
In contrast, for secondary headaches, the headache pain is secondary to, and a symptom of, some underlying illness, such as:
  • a common cold, influenza, or sinusitis
  • systemic infection, including meningitis
  • bleeding in the brain, such as bleeding that may occur from a stroke or aneurysm
  • tooth pain or pain at the joint between the lower jaw and the skull (temporomandibular joint pain, or TMJ)
  • eyestrain or glaucoma
  • elevated blood pressure (hypertension)
  • brain tumor
  • head injury
  • withdrawal from alcohol or drugs
  • medication-overuse headache from chronic use of pain relievers or other medicines

Continue Learning about Headache

Is a Migraine in the Forecast?
Is a Migraine in the Forecast?
High humidity provokes bad hair days, but what about headaches? If you're migraine-prone, you might want to check the weather report and keep pain me...
How should I track my headache patterns?
Dr. Dawn MarcusDr. Dawn Marcus
The best way to learn more about your headache threshold is to keep a headache diary. This will ...
8 Surprising Migraine Triggers
8 Surprising Migraine Triggers8 Surprising Migraine Triggers8 Surprising Migraine Triggers8 Surprising Migraine Triggers
See if you recognize any of these unusual triggers.
Does Alcohol Trigger Migraines?
Does Alcohol Trigger Migraines?