What is the difference between migraine and tension headaches?

Two common causes of headache pain can explain and differentiate two common types of headaches, tension-type and migraine headaches.

Tension may strain muscles of the face, neck, and scalp, leading to the tight, pressing pain sensation of tension-type headaches.

Swelling and stretching of the blood vessels in the head cause vascular headache pain. A migraine headache is the principal form of vascular headaches.

Continue Learning about Headache

What Causes Headaches After Sex and Exercise?
Q. What could be giving me throbbing headaches when I have sex? I've also experienced this during the last few reps of a total weight workout. The pai...
When should I go to the emergency room (ER) for a headache?
JFK Medical Center - HCA East FloridaJFK Medical Center - HCA East Florida
Most headaches are not serious, however, a severe headache can signal something life threatening suc...
What causes headaches?
A headache journal can be helpful to identify headache triggers. Record the time of day, duration, f...
What is a benign orgasmic headache?
The term headache describes any type of ache or pain in the head region. A headache can be a sharp p...