What causes brain freeze?

Brain freeze is a phenomenon people experience when they rapidly consume cold foods and drinks such as ice cream or slushies. The cold causes rapid constriction of the blood vessels in the palate and sinuses. As these vessels warm back up, they undergo extreme rebound dilation, which is sensed by nearby pain receptors and causes the painful headache we call brain freeze. The solution: slow down and savor your icy treat.

Continue Learning about Headache

Why is it difficult to diagnose headaches in children?
Dr. Dawn MarcusDr. Dawn Marcus
Many children assume that having headaches is a normal part of life, especially when they have famil...
Why do I get headaches from using the computer for long periods of time?
Headaches can be caused from a variety of reasons. One of the common contributors that is sometimes ...
Do children grow out of migraine headaches?
Children may not "grow out of" headaches, exactly. Headaches of any kind mainly affect girls who are...
Why are my headaches likely to return after giving birth?
Dr. Dawn MarcusDr. Dawn Marcus
Even if headaches improve during pregnancy, they typically return during the first 1-4 weeks aft...