What causes brain freeze?

Brain freeze is a phenomenon people experience when they rapidly consume cold foods and drinks such as ice cream or slushies. The cold causes rapid constriction of the blood vessels in the palate and sinuses. As these vessels warm back up, they undergo extreme rebound dilation, which is sensed by nearby pain receptors and causes the painful headache we call brain freeze. The solution: slow down and savor your icy treat.
Dr. Robin Miller, MD
One bite of Chunky Monkey and ouch! You've got a pounding headache. I understand why this happens. Watch my video to get the scoop on brain freeze.

Continue Learning about Headache

The Health Dangers of Cell Phones
The Health Dangers of Cell Phones
Are your ears ringing? Then you might want to take a break from your cell phone. As cell phone ownership has surged in recent years, so have question...
How do I prevent headaches from recurring?
Stress headaches are often difficult to prevent since we all have stress in our lives. Engaging in r...
8 Surprising Migraine Triggers
8 Surprising Migraine Triggers8 Surprising Migraine Triggers8 Surprising Migraine Triggers8 Surprising Migraine Triggers
See if you recognize any of these unusual triggers.
Can a Healthy Diet Help Limit Migraine?
Can a Healthy Diet Help Limit Migraine?