What are the treatments for hemicrania continua?

Indomethacin, a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID), usually provides rapid relief from the symptoms of hemicrania continua. Other NSAIDs, including ibuprofen, celecoxib, and naproxen, can provide some relief from the symptoms. Amitriptyline and other tricyclic antidepressants are effective in some patients.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Headache

Don't Make These Migraine Mistakes
Don't Make These Migraine Mistakes
If you’re one of the more than 30 million Americans who suffer from migraines, you know getting treatment that works can be tough. These are not your ...
Ask Dr. Darria: What Causes Migraines?
Ask Dr. Darria: What Causes Migraines?
Sometimes I get a migraine when it storms, but the weather has been so unpredictable that by the time I realize a migraine is underway it’s too late t...
What causes headaches?
A headache journal can be helpful to identify headache triggers. Record the time of day, duration, f...
Is Caffeine a Common Ingredient in Pain Relievers?